Villennes-sur-Seine
(Yvelines, France)
Saint-Nicolas
Surveyed: 2017
This is an experimental section where John James is attempting to identify the carvers though the use of common templates and/or a recognisable manners of carving. Such a large-scale analysis of all the capitals in these buildings has not been attempted before. As an ongoing enterprise that is still in its infancy, we seek your input. John believes this has the potential to increase our understanding of how they worked and to provide a more solid basis for dating than we have had.
Eastern crossing piers designed for three bays; with capitals remaining.
Crossing and nave arcade and part of clerestory; the interior capitals were replaced with simple repetitive forms.
West wall with portal set between earlier arcade, the exterior and portal were restored in 1875, though the worn state of some of the capitals suggests they are original.
Aisle walls seem, in spite of the renovations, to have been added after the arcade arches, supporting the tower ion the south-west corner.


© Copyright 2016 fabricae.org