Boigneville
(Essonne, France)
Notre-Dame-de-l'Assomption
Surveyed: 1980-83, 2003, 2015
This is an experimental section where John James is attempting to identify the carvers though the use of common templates and/or a recognisable manners of carving. Such a large-scale analysis of all the capitals in these buildings has not been attempted before. As an ongoing enterprise that is still in its infancy, we seek your input. John believes this has the potential to increase our understanding of how they worked and to provide a more solid basis for dating than we have had.
Walls that were later used for the crypt seem to have been the original building foundations to support tower base and lower parts of north wall to the west.
Tower base extended to the south and same bases along south wall, with start of vaults to two eastern bays that include a pine-cone capital; completion of vaults during later campaigns.
North nave aisle and arcade with capitals and northern vaults.
Nave clerestory, vaults in a number of campaigns.
North 1-2 bay renovated over older apse with its vault and octagonal corner shafts.
Crypt vault inserted within earlier walls in the north-east corner, marked 1677.


© Copyright 2016 fabricae.org