Chivy-lès-Étouvelles (Aisne)

Saint-Pierre

Building Data

  •  
  • Type:
  • Affiliation:
  •  
  • Original Diocese:
  • Region: Picardie
  • Department: Aisne
  • Coords: 49.529, 3.5861
  •  
  • Surveyed: 1972-74, 2003, 2014

Map

Click and drag to rotate; Roller to zoom; Arrow keys to pan

Virtual Tour

Timeline and Costing Data (if available, in building units)





Phases

Phase 2 - 1080 - crossing (a-) - 23 Units


The crossing aisles were built in a number of small campaigns; the western crossing piers with double shafts were erected to theaisle capitals on the north, including the lower six courses of both lateral chapels that are butted into the earlier apse


Phase 3 - 1080 - crossing (a) - 25 Units


Western crossing piers side entry arch imposts and the transept walls were raised to match the east


Phase 4 - 1080 - crossing (c) - 30 Units


Crossing clerestory, probably without the arch as it was substantially raised later


Phase 5 - 1080 - west wall - 25 Units


West wall with north leg of west aisle as a hoarding; the entry arch built with the north aisle window head


Phase 6 - 1080 - nave (a) - 60 Units


Nave piers and south aisles walls were added with no buttresses


Phase 7 - 1090 - n aisle wall - 10 Units


N aisle wall with pointed doubleau arches;


Phase 8 - 1120 - crossing (c+) - 46 Units


Nave clerestory with crossing vault and the west wall and window as the design matches the pre-existing upper west wall; the springing of the arch between apse and nave was raised 4 courses with upper walls of the nave clerestory; crossing vault built with upper walls of crossing because cells let into wall, with 'r' section, supported on head corbels angled to suit ribs; arch into nave raised at the same time;


Phase 9 - 1160 - tower II - 14 Units


Second story of the tower;


Phase 1 - Earlier


There was an earlier apse to the east of the apse buttresses, probably round, and a straight bay with high windows and a barrel vault that still exist; the remains of the lower courses would have been buried in the concrete fill in the entry to the apse


Phase 10 - Later


After 1240, eastern bay of the apse with tracery and vault; the remnants of the old apse would have been demolished at this time;