Beauvais (Oise)

Cathedral of Saint-Pierre

Building Data

  •  
  • Type: Cathedral
  • Affiliation:
  •  
  • Original Diocese:
  • Region: Picardie
  • Department: Oise
  • Coords: 49.432, 2.0813
  •  
  • Surveyed: 1980-83, 2003, 2011, 2015

Map

Virtual Tour

Documents

1180



En ladite année de 1180, le vendredy vingthuictiesme jour de May la ville de Beauvais fut embrasee et presques entierement bruslée, les Eglises de S. Pierre,…furent brulées…

In said year 1180, Friday the 28th day of May, the city of Beauvais was set alight and almost entirely burned, the churches of Saint-Pierre..were burned...

Source: Louvet, Pierre, Histoire et antiquitez du diocèse de Beauvais, Beauvais, 1635, ii, pg. 308.
Original is lost.

1180, 1225 and 1272



ANNO 1180 URBEM BELLOVACENSEM IGNIS EDAX IN FAVILAS PENE REDEGERAT: ALTER IGNIS AN. 1225 BASILICAE S. PETRI TAM INGENTEM RUINAM INTULIT, UT IN EA CANONICI DIVINA OFFICIA INSTAURARE NON POTUERINT ANTE AN. 1272.

In the year 1180 the town of Beauvais was nearly brought back from the ashes of a ruinous fire: another fire in the year 1225 caused great ruin, such that the canons were unable to return to the divine offices before the year 1272.

Source: GC 1751, ix, cols. 740-741. Also Murray, Beauvais, pg. 152.
Original is lost.

1188



PLUSIEURS HISTORIENS RAPPORTENT AUSSI QU'IL Y EUST SI GRANDE SECHERESSE EN FRANCE EN L'AN 1188, QUE LA PLUSPART DES VILLES DE TOURS, CHARTRES, AMIENS, BEAUVAIS, AUXERRE, TROYE, PROVINS FURENT BRUSLEES.

Several historians report also that there was a very great drought in France in the year 1188, that the greater part of the towns of Tours, Chartres, Amiens, Beauvais, Auxerre, Troyes, and Provins were burned.

Source: Louvet, Pierre, Histoire et antiquitez du diocèse de Beauvais, Beauvais, 1635, ii, pg. 308. Also Murray, Beauvais, pg. 152.

1188



1188 - EODAM ANNO FUNDASSE DICITUR IN ECCLESIA CATHEDRALI CAPELLANIAM S. PAULI.

1188 - In this year the chapel of Saint-Paul was founded in the cathedral church.

Source: Gallia Christiana, Paris, 1751, ix, col. 733. Also Murray, Beauvais, pg. 153.

1208



Copie collationnée de la fondation d'une Chapelle à l'Autel St. Estienne par Jean de Clermont Doyen, pour être nomée par le seul Doyen et être possedée par un pretre à l'exclusion de tout autre et qui n'aura point d'autre benefice, en 1208.

Copy compiled of the foundation of a chapel at the altar of Saint-Etienne by Jean de Clermont, dean, to be named only by the dean and to be possessed by a priest at the exclusion of all else and who will not have another benefice, in 1208.

Source: Archives de l'Oise, Beauvais, G 2468, pg. 60.

1212



Fondation par Guillaume dit Le Turk d'une Chapelle a l'autel du St. Sepulchre, pourqouy il a donné le tier dans les dixmes de Liancourt et au Chapitre 40s. de Cens avec toute justice sur huit maisons proche l'Eglise de Liancourt. Acceptation de la ditte fondation par Le Chapitre 1212.

Foundation by Guillaume, called The Turk, of a chapel at the altar of St-Sepulchre, for which he had given a third of the tithed of Liancourt and to the Chapter 40 sous of the income with all rights over eight houses near the church of Liancourt. Acceptance of said foundation by the Chapter in 1212.

Source: Archives de l'Oise, Beauvais, G 2468, pp. 58-59. Also Murray, Beauvais, pg. 153.
This comes from the "Layette des Chapelles", an inventory and summary of earlier documents.

1221



Fondation par le Sr. Bernard souchantre d'une Chappelle a l'autel St. Jean l'Evangeliste, tant en son nom qu'au nom de Philippe Eveq. de Beauvais, pourquoy il a donné la dixme d'Auregy, et plusieurs cens a prendre sur differentes maisons, 1221.

Foundation by lord Bernard, subcantor, of a chapel at the altar of Saint-Jean l'Evangeliste, so that from his name to that of Philippe, bishop of Beauvais, for which he gave the tithe of Auregy, and several incomes to be taken on various houses. 1221.

Source: Archives de l'Oise, Beauvais, G 2468, pg. 58. Also Murray, Beauvais, pg. 153.
This comes from the "Layette des Chapelles", an inventory and summary of earlier documents.

1222



On consecra le maistre autel ... sous l'année 1222, et ... le premiere ruine arriva trois ans après, c'est à dire vers l'année 1225 puisqu'en cette année là, on commença le reparation.

The High Altar was consecrated...in the year 1222, and…the first ruin came three years later, that is around the year 1225, so in that year the repairs commenced.

Source: Fabignon MS, "Notes Historiques sur le Beauvaisis", 40, in Bibliothèque municipale de Beauvais.
This is an 18th-century manuscript containing notes on documents pertaining to the cathedral.

1225



1225: BENEFICIA COLLECTA IN REPARATIONEM ECCLESIAE BELLOVACENSIS …QUOD CUM CASU MISERABILI CONTINGENTE COMBUSTA ESSET ECCLESIA NOSTRA…

1225: Benefices collected for the repair of the church of Beauvais ...with the mournful destruction brought about when our church was burned,...

Source: GC 1751, x, Instrumenta, col. 264. Also Murray, Beauvais, pp. 154-155, who cites Louvet, Histoire et antiquitez, ii, pp. 363-365.
Original charter now lost. See Murray, "The Choir…", pg. 535, note 17 et seq. for later restrictions to funding.

1238



…CAPITULO BEATI PETRI BELVACENSIS AD OPUS CAPELLANIE SANCTI DYONISII…

...the chapter of Saint Pierre of Beauvais to the work of the chaplaincy of Saint-Denis...

Source: Archives de l'Oise, Beauvais, G 744.